Project eTwinning 2b - inspiring projects and tools for my lessons

While browsing the eTwinning projects and related ICT tools I felt a little overwhelmed. There are so many tools and they all look great, so for now it feels like I am collecting ideas at a really high speed without a practical idea of how to use them. I will talk about the tools more in upcoming posts, after I have had some time to try them out ans assess their usefulness.

The projects I saw were also interesting, but many of them were very impractical for my teaching situation. I am a secondary school teacher and my subject is English - doing a project together with other subjects such as geography or the sciences is not yet possible in our school situation, so I need to make or find a project that focuses mostly on language skills and also, very importantly, will help my students along to reach their goals for this year - it can't just be fun to do!

One such project that really spoke to me was the "Hotel rules" project which you can find here:
https://twinspace.etwinning.net/5188/home

I would love to adapt this project for another situation and try it out with one of my classes. I especially like the use of multimedia tools in the project and the way it is designed allows for a lot of work to be done independently by the pupils. 

Another project that I think would be something interesting to do is Welcome to my marvellous city.

In this project children from all over Europe present information about their hometowns and regions for others to learn about. This seems like a nice way to look at your own surroundings with a different view, and to learn about the wonderful places Europe has to offer.

The third project that piqued my interest is not yet an eTwinning project, but could be turned into an interesting one: Podcasts on environmental issues

The information is in Spanish in many of the links and documents, but this project would be a good way to compare environmental issues in different areas in Europe, to get kids speaking about them in English (and perhaps in geography class as well), and widen their view on current climatological issues etc.

The most important improvement these projects would bring to my classroom are: more reason for my pupils to speak English, more collaborative learning, working on intercultural competency and 21st century skills, gaining cultural and general knowledge and the motivating effect of working with real-life situations rather than boring textbooks!

Do you have any experience with the projects and the tools they use? Tell me about it in the comments!




Reacties